Psycho Styrene Modeling magazine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror Modeler, with hints and tips for the beginer to the more experianced Modeller

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mouldable Plastic

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
seamfiller

Mouldable Plastic Empty
PostSubject: Mouldable Plastic   Mouldable Plastic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 1:59 pm

Has anyone tried this stuff yet?

Low-temperature hand-mouldable plastic sounds rather useful.

Poly-form Mouldable Plastic
Back to top Go down
wolfman71

wolfman71

Mouldable Plastic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouldable Plastic   Mouldable Plastic Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 4:03 am

no but I'm thinking of trying it out looks good I was wondering if you could use the metalic powders from fimo to colour resin
Back to top Go down
http://www.psychostyrene.co.uk
seamfiller

Mouldable Plastic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouldable Plastic   Mouldable Plastic Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 10:23 am

Hmmm... I would think not - or at least until you got it really liquid (and too hot to handle). I don't think you could ever knead it enough to spread the pigment throughout the lump. But it may be worth a try.

My understanding is that it is actually a type of nylon. This means it's going to be a bit of a *** to paint as no paint sticks well to nylon. Your best bet would probably be a primer coat of Halfords plastic primer or polycarbonate paint.

I'm thinking of giving this a try - maybe an article for issue 3?
Back to top Go down
wolfman71

wolfman71

Mouldable Plastic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouldable Plastic   Mouldable Plastic Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 7:37 pm

would nake a good one if you do try it Surprised

I was thinking of the powder for use with two part resin either powder the mould or mix it in like a filler
Back to top Go down
seamfiller

Mouldable Plastic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouldable Plastic   Mouldable Plastic Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 10:06 am

I see what you mean, but I still think there are issues....

If adding the powder before 'melting' (i.e. when it's still beads), you would have to melt it with a hair drier. In water, the powder would just settle out to the bottom of the bowl! As for mixing it in when you've got it melted, well, this depends entirely on how malleable it is - too stiff and it'll just be too difficult knead it and spread the powder evenly - you may end up with a speckled effect.

I've decided I'll get some this weekend and I'll try various things to see what it's really like. I'll even try your metallic powder idea.
Back to top Go down
wolfman71

wolfman71

Mouldable Plastic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouldable Plastic   Mouldable Plastic Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 2:06 am

I see where your commong from with that, May dive it a bash with a pourable resin like alumilite or somethinglike that though, let me know how it goes if you try it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mouldable Plastic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouldable Plastic   Mouldable Plastic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mouldable Plastic
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Psycho Styrene Modeling magazine :: Modeling :: SCI-Fi Modeling-
Jump to: